Thursday, February 24, 2011

Guest Post: Magnetic Snaps Tutorial

Today's post is comming from my new sewing friend and neigbor, Amy!  She is going to share how to use those super nifty magnetic snaps that she uses on all her e-reader covers and purses listed in her etsy shop.  Be sure to check out her fabulous covers and key fobs in super yummy fabrics and designs.  Withour further ado, here is today's featured post!

***********************************************************

So you wonder if you can figure out how to use magnetic snaps to jazz
a purse, an ereader cover, or something else?
Sure you can!
I'm Jessica's neighbor, Amy DeCesare,
{who loves sewing as much as she does},
and I'll show you how to use these awesome pieces of hardware.


To give credit where credit is due...I first learned how to install magnetic snaps, along with a host of other skills, when I purchased this PDF pattern by Mommy's Thimble:


The instructions for this Grab and Go purse are not only easy to follow, but they are amusing.
{I have overcome my fear of zippers and gussets through this pattern!}
The purses are so cute, and you can either use jelly roll strips
or cut your own coordinating selection, as I've done today.

To get started you need a set of magnetic snaps.
Oh, go ahead and get yourself a PACK of them.
I found these on the purse hardware wall at JoAnn's.
They have several sizes and lots of COLORS! Fun!!!


You'll want to install the snap parts to the project early on, before it's all stitched up.

{Whether I'm making a purse or an ereader cover,
I always use a fusible fleece interfacing, such as Pellon 987F,
to lend soft support to the fabrics of my project.
This makes the snap nice and stable as well.}
Here I used the underside of the purse flap, attaching the "male" section.
First, use the washer that is included with the snap, and position it where the snap belongs.
Mark the 2 slots with a pen or pencil. (It won't show, I promise!)


With a sharp pair of scissors, cut the slots all the way through.


Insert the prongs of the snap, with the male side on the right side of the fabric. 


Flip it over and position the washer over the prongs.
Now spread the prongs apart and flatten them. Easy, huh?

Find the part of the project that will hold the "female" snap segment. Use the same process, lining up the washer where the finished snap belongs.
Mark the slots...


Cut the lines carefully...
Insert the female snap on the right side, and flip it over...
Add the washer, then separate the prongs.


TA DAH!!!!


Don't blame me if you can't make just one project!

5 comments:

  1. Great tutorial! I was going to start making a purse this evening and now I'm even more motivate to put a snap on it :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! These really are easy and fun to use....and they are pretty cheap! (Especially with a coupon!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's so easy! I would not have expected it to be so simple. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My coworker just got an iphone and I wanted to make a little case for her with either velcro or a magnetic snap. Thanks for this tutorial - so excited to try it out after work tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful instructions. The pictures are very helpful. You might also want to try to fold the prongs toward the center. This reduces the chance of rips due to wear (after long term use.)

    ReplyDelete