Monday, July 2, 2012

X Marks the Spot baby quilt

I'm so excited to share this finish today, as its been quite a long time in the making.  As I was making my Swoon quilt way back when, I came across a great tip for how to create instant half square triangles when making flying geese blocks.  After finishing my Swoon, I had about 150 leftover HSTs, that were sitting in a pile just waiting to be turned into something.  They sat and sat and sat, until I arranged and rearranged them on my design wall and this X Marks the Spot block was born.

X Marks the Spot baby quilt

I didn't have enough HSTs to make 9 blocks, so I decided to make just 4 blocks, and added a small border of white, coordinating solid border and then Kona white sashing to bring it up to just about 40" square, a perfect baby quilt size.  I was a little nervous using  this much white in a baby quilt, as I'm envisioning spills and stains, but we'll throw caution to the wind on this one and see how it goes.  

X Marks the Spot baby quilt

As for the quilting, I went with my old faithful standard, fun loopy FMQ.  This has officially become my go-to means of quilting, and is my preference even over stippling.  It's just so quick and easy, and the result I think always looks great.  Maybe I'll break out of my FMQ rut with one of these fun designs, or maybe I'll just stick with those fun loopy loops.

X Marks the Spot baby quilt

I'll be linking this post up to Kati's Slash the Stash June Linky Party.  Not only is the quilt 100% from stash, its actually leftovers from another project too!

X Marks the Spot baby quilt

Quilt Stats:

Quilt Name: Scrappy X Marks the Spot baby quilt
Pattern: constructed using my X Marks the Spot block tutorial
Size:  39" x 39"
Fabrics Used:  Assorted fabrics from stash-leftover HSTs from my Swoon quilt, Kona School Bus, Kona Azure, Kona Pomegranite, Kona Chartreuse, Kona White
Quilting:  All over loopy FMQ done on my home machine by me
Binding:  DS Quilt Collection- Aunt Edna Bias Plaid in pink










15 comments:

  1. LOVE this Jess! Your loopy quilting is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome, Jessica! Love your design and I'm going to have to attempt that quilting soon. It looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love how this came out with all the bright colours, so engaging for small minds too I imagine...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful finish! The loopy quilting looks great. The whole thing is fantastic. I wouldn't worry too much about the white, it will wash up nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just the cutest thing ever! I love these little quilt blocks, and the colors are so cheery and fun! The loopy quilting is so cute, and just perfect for a baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so gorgeous, Jess! Not to worry about the white - it washes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! The white makes the colors just pop! Awesome quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! I'll have to check out the tutorial for flying geese to HST...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is so pretty. I love your choice of colors and your choice of fabric for the binding. Very, very nice quilting. Great job on the quilting. Your choice of stitch is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these colors and the design. Great job hosting WIP Wednesday and Freshly Pieced. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful!
    (and I am follower #700!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the quilting and the blocks, it's terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  13. First, the colors are so happy!! Then the topsy turvy half square triangles can turn out so fun too. love that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this Jessica! It turned out so cute. I need to take a lesson from you and start making more baby quilts. You are finishing a new one all the time! Unfortunately most of our friends are past the baby stage so I rarely have a need for one. Thanks for linking up to Slash the Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this baby quilt, the colors are so bright and cheery and the fun loopy quilting really works with it well!

    ReplyDelete