Monday, October 7, 2013

Watermelon Seeds: Completed Quilt

DSC_1257

Just popping in (still pregnant!) with one more quilty finish before the little lady makes her appearance!  I'm not sure how many more finishes I have in me before d-day, the basting kills me!  After basting this little guy on the kitchen floor I felt like I'd just finished an hour long workout in the pre-preggo days.  I'm hoping to squeeze in one more finish for the babe herself before she is here, but I may have to enlist the hubby's help to baste that puppy.

DSC_1262

This is a super special quilt that needed to be finished, as its for a dear friend who is also expecting a little girl.  She's been my pregnancy buddy and the go to for when weird things are happening that only another expectant mom would not be grossed out by understand.  She just passed her due date this past Friday, so I'm counting on her to go first and tell me the good, the bad and the ugly first hand...although maybe going in with no expectations is the way to go.

DSC_1265

Anyways, back to the quilt.  Her little lady's nursery has lots of bright pinks and greens, so when pulling fabric for this quilt, these prints just sort of made a stack all on their own.  These prints remind me of happiness, sunshine and summer, which describes my friend to a T.  I don't think I've ever seen her without a smile on her face, so I'm expecting her daughter to naturally be the same.

DSC_1255

I've had this simple rail fence zig zag quilt on my "to try" list for sometime now, and it certainly didn't disappoint.  The quilt top came together so quickly, as in just a few hours on a Saturday while the hubs was working, thanks to strip piecing the prints/white fabric, and then cutting squares from there.  I sort of just figured it out as I went, but I found this pdf tutorial after the fact explaining the process.  I cut my strips at 2.5" wide, so this exact quilt would be even easier if you had an extra Jelly Roll laying around with precut strips!

DSC_1266

This quilt is off for a good tumble through the washer and dryer for a proper crinkling, and then it will wait for my friend's little miss to make her appearance!

Quilt Stats

Name:  Watermelon Seeds baby quilt
Pattern: Zig Zag Rail Fence on point (kind of like this tutorial)
Size:  41" x 43"
Fabrics Used: Various fuscia/grass green prints from stash and Kona White
Backing: Amy Butler Love print and leftover strips from the quilt front
Binding: Random pink dot fabric found in my stash
Quilting:  All over loopy FMQ

10 comments:

  1. Very nice Jess! And watermelon is the perfect description of this one. Hoping to meet your little lady soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the name and it's a very cute quilt! As far as birthing pain goes imagine the worst possible burning pain x100, it's not quite as bad as that so you'll be fine :-) try to remember the pain is temporary and obviously it's all worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful Jess. The mama and her sweet bubba will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute name for a super cute quilt. Great job, Jess! Even your binding choice was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your pattern, colors, reversibility, and the quilting! It came out so wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty! Perfect for a baby girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. tyvm for that tutorial link! this one is high on my bucket list!

    have you ever considered table basting? you can check out my blog, which might give you some ideas! i cant believe that anyone is actually down on the floor anymore...

    missjameequilts@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete