Friday, December 12, 2014

Great Granny :: Quilt Top

DSC_0422

Happy holidays!  Is it just me or is anyone else completely shocked by the fact that in 2 weeks Christmas will be over.  I of course love gifting handmade gifts, however my "to make" list seems to be growing daily, while the number of days until Christmas are dwindling.  I'm fairly confident I'll get it all done, starting with this quilt that will be given to a friend for Christmas.  I'm certain she will absolutely love it, so I'm pushing to get it finished.

DSC_0423

I have had this quilt idea in my head ever since the first granny squares quilt I made back in 2012.  Nora uses the original granny almost daily, and I always think "I really want to make an adult sized version of this baby quilt," and that's saying something, as I really do not tend to repeat quilt patterns once I've made them the first time.  I'd much rather play with a new design, than something I've already done.  So to have this niggling voice egging me on to make another for the past 3 years  is really saying something.

DSC_0428

There is absolutely nothing that I do not love about this quilt.  In fact it will take much self control not to hoard this one for me and actually gift it to said friend.  I cut into my half yard bundle of Modern Lace that I purchased from Dragonfly Fabrics  and I don't think that there could be a more perfect marriage than this pattern and this fabric.  Just the right amount of vintage traditional charm with just enough of a whimsy modern touch.  It's love.

DSC_0424

I upsized the individual squares to 5.5" unfinished (5" finished) and assembled in the same fashion that I did here.  Lots and lots of chain piecing.  And I can happily say I only had to seam rip one row after I sewed it backwards!  Win.

DSC_0425

The goal is to get this guy basted this weekend so I can get quilting during Monday's nap time, wish me luck that I'll have a finished quilt to show in the next week, and happy holiday sewing!

1 comment: