Monday, April 16, 2012

weekend stitching

Call me a nerd, but one of my favorite parts in the quilting process is sitting down with my graph paper and colored pencils, drawing out my design and figuring all the quilty math necessary to make the quilt come alive in fabric.

Starting with this....

Untitled

Pulled out all this....

Untitled

And started stitching this...

Untitled

This color palate is so not in my wheel house, but  I wanted to branch away from the typical blues and greens I tend to be drawn to, and head toward yummy summery colors.  I am now considering myself 100% converted to pinless curved piecing using Leann's tutorial, and it makes sewing these scallops a piece o' cake.  These blocks are another great use of my Drunkards Path die for my Accuquilt GO!, which makes cutting the curved pieces super quick and simple.  

What about you, what were you stitching this weekend?


13 comments:

  1. Interesting to see your process. I don't think I've ever drawn anything. It goes straight from my head to my sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's really cool Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am excited to see this one come together, Jessica! It will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *drooool*

    you may be a nerd, but you are a talented nerd, so that makes it okay ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, that looks cool! I don't have the patience to play with graph paper unless I'm paper piecing

    ReplyDelete
  6. GORGEOUS! I've been trying to figure out what to do with my drunkard's path die - I have a Go!Baby cutter too! I think this could be just the ticket!
    I'm guessing this is your original design, right?! LOVE IT!
    I may have to email you later ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've admired clam shell quilts wherever I've seen them in the blogosphere. Yours will be great with those wonderful fabrics. Enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful fabrics and I love hat pattern! I'm still waiting (what?) to try those curves! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, now I REALLY need to get the Drunkards path die!
    I absolutely LOVE what you've done with this pattern!
    Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your scallops, it is a pattern on my list of things to try. I am glad the my little tutorial helped, curves are not hard to do at all and yours are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a graph paper gal, myself! The scallops look great :-) I'm going to check out that tutorial.

    ReplyDelete