Sunday, July 25, 2010

Zebra tote

We've had some crummy weather this weekend, so that meant I've gotten to break in my new sewing room!  A coworker of mine asked if I could make a tote bag for her daughter to use as a school bag this year, and her daughter's only requirements were that it was zebra print and bright pink...how fun!  I found this tutorial from jcarolinecreative.com and it worked just perfectly! 


It measures approximately 14 inches wide, 11 inches high and 3 1/2 inches deep.  With the superstiff interfacing, it is a very durably constructed bag, and I love love all the pockets this pattern includes!  Theres a pocket on the front in between the straps and then two pockets on the interior (one is a zipper pocket, which is great!) 
I do have to say the zipper pocket gave me a run for my money, I had a hard time following the directions at that point, but now that I've figured it out, I will definitly be using this method of a zipper pocket in many tote bags to come.

Here's a pic of the interior


I think I met all the requirements for her, and the monogram on the front pocket brings just enough pink to the exterior.  I think this size will work well for Paige (I believe she will be going into third grade).  I also have found that the size of this bag would also make a PERFECT laptop carrier!  I actually am planning on making one of these for myself for that exact purpose.  

 

I think Paige and her new zebra bag will be the talk of the third grade! 

Jessica

9 comments:

  1. That is a REALLY great bag, and I'm loving the web handles !
    I have to find some of that and some stiffer interfacing !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dolly, I found it at Joann's, its sew-in interfacing, I believe Pellon 70. When I mentioned it to the cutting counter lady, she commented that it was "craft weight" or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made this tote too from jcaroline's tutorial. I love it! Your combo of black/white/bright pink is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

    http://www.seamsinspired.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute color combo! I used jcaroline's tutorial for another purse that had a zippered pocket and was confused the first time, but now I add zippered pockets to everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bag turned out great Jessica. I saw that tutorial too and still have not tried it out.Size sounds perfect for a laptop. That's a great idea.Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post ... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute bag! Thanks so much for the link to the tutorial, it's going on my list. Thanks for linking up to Finished for Friday.

    ReplyDelete