Sunday, September 12, 2010

think pink


Think Pink!  As I mentioned in my last post, this set of placemats and tablerunner (along with the two clutches) are being donated to a charity luncheon for breast cancer to be auctioned off in October.  The lady who is hosting the event gave me free reign to design how I like, with the only stipulation being that it had to be pink!

 

Heres a picture of the set on my own dining room table.  The runner measures 12 1/2 x 48 inches and each placemat is appx 14 x 18 inches.


This was my first try at string piecing and I used the tutorial from Film in the Fridge and couldn't be happier with the result!  i started by cutting my paper squares to 6 1/2 inches and then cutting what seemed like a bazillion strips of fabric in varying widths ranging from 1 inch to 1 1/2 inchs wide then kind of used an assembly line type system to add my strips.


I just love this effect, and have a quilt in this style in my ever growing "quilting to-do list"!  Maybe not all in pink next time...


The placemats are much simpler in style, but I'm pleased with the look.  I pieced together some 2 1/2 inch strips in pink and then bordered them in white. 

Apparently my machine does not have a problem with light pink thread...its apparently quite picky sometimes, as I found when I tried to quilt the whale baby quilt in light green thread and my machine was not having it!  As for quilting, I again used good ole faithful and stippled both the tablerunner and placemats.


The binding on both is a pink with tiny white polka dots, and the back is a solid kona in bright pink. 

Can't wait to donate these so they can get to their new owners...Dolly, I'm not sure how they will be auctioned off, I was assuming they would go as a set, but however she decides to organize things would be fine with! 






20 comments:

  1. Wow, those look terrific, Jessica........I'd have to bid on both if the DO get separated.
    I just don't think you can beat 'good ol' stippling'. I tried my hand at some other things today, and granted, I haven't been practicing, but.....hmmmmmm.......I don't know if big change is in my future. Shoot.....machine-quilting AT ALL was a big enough change for me !
    But I'll stay at it, so that I can say that I tried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are all so pretty.... love all the different colors of pink

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! The block you used for the runner is so cool and modern-looking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this set! And I think the placemats would be perfect for every day use maybe in seasonal colors. I'm going to ponder that... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the quilt runner. Getting those to line up is a challenge and yours turned out so well!!!!
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun project and for a great cause! I love The tutorial you used for your string blocks. It's the one I swear by...so easy. Everything came out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are gorgeous!! Well done and a great cause to donate to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i just love that table runner. It reminds me of a string quilt that I neglected. Thanks for inspiring me to pull it out. If it will look anything like yours I'm getting busy on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love string quilts~ looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. these are so perfect for donating...i am sure they will bring in lots at auction.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are a wonderful idea for a donation. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both the table runner and the placemats are so pretty. They are perfect for the good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great selection of pinks you have here! They are sure to be a sale at the auction. How kind of you to give such wonderful projects. :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything looks just beautiful and for such a great cause. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i LOVE the string blocks! And the placemats. Really really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those string blocks in pink are gorgeous!!! I absolutely love them. I'm sure they will do well in the auction. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are beautiful. I hope they do well in the auction, and that you are able to raise lots of money for the cause.

    ReplyDelete