I think I've found my block for the 4x5 modern quilt bee! I've been playing around with a few ideas, and I have been itching to make some of these mini whirly-gig blocks, and thought why not try it out.
This is my test block that just so happens to be in my colors, so I may just keep it :-) I have had this doll quilt by Mary on the Lake in my flickr favorites since last round of the Doll Quilt Swap, and wanted to make something like it, but was not interested in purchasing the pattern. I kept thinking "I can figure out how to make that", so I took to scouring the internet for a tutorial to point me in the right direction.
I loosely used this tutorial, however altered my starting block size to 2.5" x 3", and ended up using a paper template for slice and dicing the starting block, as I found it was more accurate than trying to measure for each cut. I also took a hint from Mary and laid out all my pieces before I sewed anything. Each whirlygig block measures 4" square when finished, and my complete block measures 12.5" square.
I must say, making these little guys is quite addicting, I may have to use this pattern on a larger scale for the next baby quilt I make!
I just had to snap a picture of the back, I think this is the prettiest back I've ever managed with so many intersecting seams!! Hopefully my hive mates approve, 5 more blocks to go!