Saturday, October 29, 2011

October Bee Blocks

Nothing like waiting till the last minute!  I suppose it technically is still October, and my blocks will be headed out  Monday, so I'm on time, but I usually don't like waiting until the very last minute.  Anyways, this months blocks were quite fun to put together!

Solid Bee

I have to admit, I was a bad bee.  This block is for Sew Vivid in the solids bee, and it was from all the way back in August!  I must have received the fabric, and then it was swallowed into the abyss that is my sewing room, because I uncovered this package of black and white fabric while doing a quick cleaning of my sewing room just last week.  Eeek!  Again my apologies Viv!  

Anyways, she asked for any kind of star block, with the black as the background.  I had a paper pieced pattern all picked out, and on a whim decided to try out some liberated stars instead, and I am so so glad I did!  This block was so fun to make, and I am really happy with how it turned out.  So striking with the black and white.

Simply Strings for LRStitched

Simply Strings for LRStitched

These blocks are for Lindsay in the Simply Strings bee.  She requested we use this pattern, enlarged to a 12 inch block, from quilters cache for some paper pieced spiderweb blocks.  I am in love with these colors, and incorporated a lot of scraps from my scrap bin as well.

Simply Strings for LRStitched

I cannot wait to see this quilt come together, it is going to be absolutely fabulous.

4x5 Hive 14 Q3

This block is a replacement block for one of my bee's in the 4x5 bee.  Charise unfortunately received an empty envelope with just a letter from the girl who sent her a block!  We like to say the mailman stole it.  Who knows exactly what happened to the missing block, but I wanted to make Charise a replacement.  I used the X and + block tutorial by Amy from badskirt, and added a few borders to bring it to 12 1/2".  I am in love with this block, and think I need to have a quilt made of this block.  Hopefully Charise is as smitten with it as I am!  I'm going to double and triple seal this bad boy in the envelope before mailing so that it actually gets to her!

Happy weekend stitching!

6 comments:

  1. The bee blocks look awesome, Jess! The B&W one especially. Very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That +X block is nice enough to steal! Oooh! Sorry! I hope it arrives safely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a happy ending to a horrible experience for Charise (and the person who sent the block). Good on you. I like that block too although it looks to have too many pieces for my current skill set. One day though ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those blocks. I have to be a busy bee today to send my ones out tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blocks are really pretty! I could happily accept any or all of them... should anyone feel like giving them away! Once my postman kept a whole bundle of fat quarters. Wouldn't you like to see the quilts the US postal service makes!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the bee blocks are terrific, but that black and white star is so striking!

    ReplyDelete