Ok, so I'm completely embarrassed that I am going to show these pictures of my terribly unorganized mess of a sewing room, but I'm showing them to get my butt in gear to clean and organize everything. Not to make excuses, but the brunt of this disorganized mess comes from running out of fabric storage space, so my fabric ends up strewn about, wherever I can find space. Anyways, I think I have found solution #1 to my problem, and I thought I'd share.
These are the before pictures, ugh. You can keep scrolling, don't look too closely ;-P
In my search for storage ideas, I came across this picture, of course on Pinterest of Jacquie's ironing board/shelving solution, and I knew this was part of my answer. All that unused space under my ironing board? Turn it into storage space? Yes please!
And that is how this contraption was born. I scoured the internet, and found these wire shelving units at Target, they are about 23" wide, so I bought two, and they were a little low (30" tall) for my liking, so I put them on some bed raisers I had to give some extra height. I used a piece of plywood that was 48"x 18" and wrapped it in about 4 layers of batting, and topped it off with some fabric. I affixed everything to the underside of the plywood with a staple gun, and in a matter of a half an hour, had a solid ironing board top for my shelving unit.
I am using the new storage space to store all my scraps. I now have them sorted by each individual color, solid scraps have their own large bin, and my selvedge collection also has its own bin. Up next is to refold all of my fabric using Jeni's tutorial like Kati just did, and nicely display it where those messy stacks are hanging out now. Wish me luck!