Friday, August 31, 2012

2d Zoo Dream Garden

DSC_0400

One of my absolute most favorite sizes of quilts to make are baby quilts.  Its really a great way to try out patterns on a smaller scale, and because they  are so small, they come together super fast!  This baby quilt was no exception, and it was a good thing, as my it was a last minute request from my mom.  I made quick work of turning this stack of fabric into a baby quilt, in just about a weeks time.  

DSC_0403

I must say, when my mom showed me the Jungle Jill baby bedding she wanted the quilt to coordinate with, I did a small internal groan.  Those pale muted greens, pinks and browns just are not colors I tend to use now a days, but I dug through my stash, and came up with a few prints that would coordinate well, and surprisingly I was excited about the stack I came up with, mostly centering around the Alexander Henry 2d Zoo in sage I've had stashed for a while now.

DSC_0401

I followed the Dream Garden pattern in the Fat Quarterly Shape Workshop book, and really love how the pattern came together.  I have to admit my oops though, I thought I was being all quilt-saavy by cutting those center focus squares on the bias thinking "since its diamonds, then my prints will be straight and square!" of course I hadn't read through the directions, and after piecing the focus diamond units, I should have just left well enough alone and cut the squares like normal, because of the way they are pieced, I ended up with diagonal animals anyways.  Oh well, I'm ok with it, it adds character, right??

DSC_0402

As for the binding, I stuck with Crosshatch Sketch in Coral, that went with the color scheme just perfectly.  If I could, I would order yards and yards of every Sketch color they make, I just can't get enough!  Anyways, this little guy is off to its new home, hopefully it blends in with the Jungle Jill nursery!

Quilt Stats
Quilt Name:  2d Zoo Dream Garden
Quilt Size:  40" x 40"
Fabrics Used:  Alexander Henry 2d Zoo in Sage and coordinating prints, Kona White
Quilting:  Overall meandering loops done by me on my home machine


10 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I like making smaller quilts too...instant gratification! Love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute quilt! I love baby quilts, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is lovely and I don't think the baby will care about diagonal animals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT! quilt! I love it, the colors are neat, and not always seen, I really think you did a great job. Also, last night at the grocery store I found the magazine and saw you there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful!! Love the colours and the animals :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool effect, almost as if the animals are fenced off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love the colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really love this, that 2d zoo print is a fave of mine and your coordinating colours work great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute Jessica. Love the colors.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  10. It turned out great! You really can whip a quilt out fast!!

    ReplyDelete