Monday, August 20, 2012

back at it

Pardon my absence for the past week or so, but we've been lounging by the beach!  The week went by entirely too quickly, but it was nice to get away.  Me and my newly found tan are back to the real world after a week of surf, sun and sand with good friends.  

We got back into town yesterday afternoon, and I had this stack of happy mail waiting for me at my doorstep.  

DSC_0385

I've had The Bag Making Bible and Elizabeth Hartman's two quilting books, The Practical Guide to Patchwork, and Modern Patchwork on my Amazon Wishlist for what seems like eons, and before leaving for vacation, I decided it was time these books came to live with me.  I added the Fat Quarterly Shape Workshop for Quilters for good measure, and am super thrilled with my purchases.

While I was away, my mom asked if I would be able to whip up a baby quilt for a friend of hers, and of course I said yes.  I spent a bit of yesterday flipping through these glossy pages to find a quick and easy baby quilt idea, and settled on this from the Fat Quarterly book:

DSC_0386

I'm altering the size to a baby quilt size, and am only using the fussy cut center squares on point and x's.  My mom gave me free reign on the design, but asked that it would coordinate with this Jungle Jill baby bedding:


source link

Now admittedly, browns are a color that I have really gotten away from using, and instead tend to use grey as a neutral, but I rummaged through my stash, and came up with this stack that I think will coordinate well:

DSC_0387

I've had the 2d Zoo in Sage in my stash for a long long time, and finally have found just the project to use it for.  I picked out a few coordinating fabrics in a light limey green, pink and lighter brown, which, while out of my normal go to color selection, I'm really excited to work with.  Not to mention the total satisfaction that this came completely from stash!  I spent a little time today cutting everything, and its sitting waiting to be sewn soon.

I have a few projects in various stages of completed-ness scattered across my sewing room, but it feels nice to have an immediate project to jump back into the swing of things with.  I think I need to get back to WIP Wednesday, as I'm feeling a bit in disarray, hopefully this week I'll get my act together!

8 comments:

  1. How do you like the bg mking bible? I have wondered...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed your vacation. Love your fabric choices for the baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to have you back! I'd sure love that Elizabeth Hartman book, might have to buy it one day since our library doesn't carry it....yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back. That's a lovely stack of fabrics and the books were great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing all the great info, books, ideas, and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute fabric and pattern!!! I adore mail!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH and let us know which one you like the MOST. My library is groaning and I think I can only afford ONE of those books, space-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, loving the look of those books!

    ReplyDelete