Wednesday, September 11, 2013

a gal can't have too much voile: {completed quilt}

DSC_1224

Really, the title of this post should say "a gal can't have too many quilts," because things may be getting a little out of hand here, and yes, I'm not ashamed to admit I have one more baby quilt in the works that will match the nursery colors, grey and yellow (with bits of pink, of course).  We have scheduled a newborn photo session with a local photographer, and I'm really considering taking all these baby quilts and requesting a photo like this one, or this one, as what would be more fitting for a baby of a quilting mama, than a picture on a giant stack of quilty goodness.

DSC_1226

This quilt was made using my fat eighth bundle of AMH voiles from Westwood Acres and I could not be more pleased with how this quilt has come together.  The voiles have such a nice hand, so soft and luxurious.  I used Red Pepper Quilts Postage Stamp Tutorial, only increased my strip size like she did here, so that my finished squares are 2.5".  I sorted my bundle the best I could into cool fabrics and warm fabrics, and when pairing my strips alternated cool and warm, as I wanted to make sure I didn't end up with the same fabrics right next to each other, or big pools of cool or warm prints in different areas of the quilt.  This approach worked perfectly and I'm really happy with the finished layout.

DSC_1229

I actually have enough fabric left from my fat eighth bundle to make a second of these quilts, which I'm thinking will be destined to a good friend who is also due with a little lady of her own in a few short weeks.

DSC_1231

As for the quilting, I briefly thought about hand quilting this with perle cotton, but ultimately decided against it, as I didn't want to get stuck half way through and not finish.  This quilt is just too pretty to end up in the WIP pile.  I went with super simple straight line quilting 1/4" on either side of the seam lines.  I think the simple quilting really lets the fabrics shine.  I'm thinking I just channeled my inner Rita for this entire quilt :-)

DSC_1237

I was a little hesitant when I started quilting, as I've heard horror stories of quilting with voile, fabric shifting, puckers and lots of not so nice things happening, but I'm happy to report I experienced none of those.  Of course I used my walking foot and went slowly, but I also was sure to baste extra carefully, using a combination of spray basting (my usual), and then pin basting every 10 inches or so to make sure no shifting occurred.

This quilt has since been washed, dried and sufficiently crinkled, and is now up in the nursery just waiting for the little miss to make her arrival next month!

Quilt Stats

Quilt Name:  AMH voile postage stamp baby quilt
Size:  40" x 40"
Fabrics Used:  AMH voile fat eighth bundle 
Backing:  Heather Bailey Daisy Pop
Binding:  Violet Craft Madrona Road Haystack in Fuscia
Quilting:  Straight line quilting 1/4" from each seam line




15 comments:

  1. I love those photograph ideas - you should totally request that!

    This latest quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! Oh I really love it. I'd love it full size for my own bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! Makes me want to cut into my voile collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am curious about sewing with voile. Glad to hear your success. Is there any problem with pressing it? How about stretching?
    I love how soft it is and want to try a quilt with it

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely gorgeous. I am also really curious about sewing with voile. Do you just cut and piece as usual. It seems so delicate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks beautiful. And I love your choice of backing - I love that print!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that's gorgeous, bet it feels fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful! I'm glad to hear that it wasn't difficult to quilt with voile, too. I have a similar quilt (although the squares are 8 inches square) in the WIP pile - your quilt is so gorgeous that I just might get mine out and work on it today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So lovely!! I absolutely adore it :) I hope you're feeling good here in these last few weeks of your pregnancy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was totally debating on making one of these - yours looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous quilt! Can't believe you're almost there, hope you are keeping well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous job, Rita... Er, I mean Jessica! This quilt is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty quilts. I have made three quilts with my brother so far. msmaf at ymail (dot) COM

    ReplyDelete