Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Raspberry Orange Chevrons: A Baby Quilt Finish

DSC_1214

I feel likes its been absolutely eons since I last finished a quilt, and really it probably has been.  This quilt top has been hanging around my sewing room since July just waiting ever so patiently to be basted and quilted.  I have to say, even when I'm not 8 months pregnant basting is my absolute least favorite step of the quilting process, and now that I feel about ready to pop, I like it even less, if that's possible.

DSC_1215

After giving myself a little pep talk, I mustered up the energy and got on my hands and knees and basted like there was no tomorrow.  Luckily the quilt tops that are hanging around my sewing room are all baby size, so that at least makes it manageable.

DSC_1218

While perusing Joann's one day, I came across this faux swirl fur fabric and knew it had to come home with me to be the backing fabric for this quilt.  It is the softest cuddliest fabric I think I have ever felt, and will be just perfect for colder winter days, and the fuscia color compliments the quilt top so well.

DSC_1219

While I am in love with the final product, I can't say I was in love with the quilting process.  I did an all over loopy free motion quilting design (one of my standard go-to's), and between the weight this heavy backing fabric added to the quilt, and the fact that the nap of the fabric sort of made the quilt "stick" to my sewing machines quilting area/extender table, it was a less than enjoyable experience.

I found I had to "grab" the quilt in my fists and push/pull it,  as opposed to simply gliding it under my finger tips with quilting gloves like normal was the only way to successfully maneuver the quilt.  Good thing this was only a baby size quilt, because my arms were certainly feeling it!  I had a little bit of tension issues in the beginning, mainly that my upper thread kept breaking, but I found with a slow and steady approach, and setting my tension super low (I usually sew/quilt around 5, and had my machine at 2.5-3), seemed to fix the problem.  I also found in certain spots that some of the backing "fur" pulled up slightly through to the front of the quilt where my needle pierced through the fabric.  Using a slightly smaller needle helped a little, but its still visible in certain spots, especially on the white parts of the quilt.  I will say once it was washed and crinkled, its much much less noticeable, and given the uber soft and cuddly-ness of this quilt, I'll take that trade off.

DSC_1222

This quilt has been folded and added to baby girls quilt stash, which is very quickly growing to quite a pile, but a girl can never have too many quilts, right??

Quilt Stats

Name: Raspberry Orange Chevron baby quilt
Pattern: None, designed using an array of print/print and print/white HSTs
Size:  45" x 45"
Backing: Faux Swirl Fur in Fuscia
Binding: Timeless Treasures Sketch in Candy
Quilting: All over loopy FMQ 




22 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful - so soft and snuggly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really great. Is there a pattern for that somewhere out there?

    I totally agree about the minky. It is so hard to FMQ with it, and I have a Sewslip even. It doesn't make a difference, it's just plain hard to make it move with ease. It sooooo nice though.

    I have done 2 baby quilts with minky on the back and my son's twin size quilt. On that one I used my walking foot and SITD. I couldn't have done it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilt top is so adorable and the backing is great! I don't know if I would have the courage to quilt with it though, but yours looks like it was worth the hard work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how the HSTs are arranged so the white stripes are narrower than the color stripes, and I love the cheerful colors! This one is sure to become a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the colors in this quilt are so pretty, and I love the snuggly backing!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, my favourite Notting Hill! I love your quilt Jess, and the backing will be perfectly snuggly, even though it was difficult to quilt with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so pretty. Wow - still quilting at 8 months!! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful - love the colours and the backing is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks fabulous, well worth the wrestling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's really beautiful Jess. You must be getting super excited about meeting her! Best of luck with the last month :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that your colour chevrons are much wider than the white ones - makes it look very fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vey cute! Love the orange and raspberry :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it!!!! Another to add to my list of quilts I want to make

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just gorgeous, and a girl can never have too many quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful quilt! I love the design :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous quilt - I really love how the hot colours pop against the white. That backing looks like pure luxury too, but I can imagine it was hard work to quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those fabrics are absolutely GORGEOUS! I think this is one of the prettiest chevron quilts I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is really cute! I think I just read Allison (Cluck Cluck Sew) had a similar problem machine quilting with Minkie. I despise the basting part too, which probably explains why I only have quilt tops, not finished quilts...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your baby is going to be the warmest baby ever with all the quilts you've made her! Good on you. I love this quilt design.

    ReplyDelete