Baby girls nursery is starting to come together, and actually resemble a place where baby can sleep and eventually play. Way back when we first found out I was pregnant, I think one of the first things I did was start scouring Pinterest for nursery inspiration. I came across this framed wooden letter alphabet snapshot and knew that whether boy or girl, no matter what color scheme we decided on, I had to make something like it.
I really could not be more thrilled with how this turned out! After finding a whole slew of alphabet wooden letter options on both Etsy and Ebay, I settled on this set, and was really pleased with what I received. Their customer service was also top notch, as Amanda was super sweet when I contacted her concerned that I was missing letters, and had duplicates of others, when in fact I had the "y" upside down as an "h", the "q" upside down as a "b", and was convinced my Q was missing. Needless to say she very nicely sorted out my mess of letters. I blame pregnancy brain :-)
I went back and forth deciding how to finish the letters, and ultimately settled on modge podge and scrapbook paper. This tutorial explains the process perfectly and was so incredibly easy, I covered all the letters in one weekend. Instead of using an Exacto knife, I found scissors worked just fine, and I skipped the sanding step, as I was mounting them on the wall, it seemed a little overkill. As for the scrapbook paper, I was less than thrilled with my local craft store's selection in yellows and greys, so I nabbed a few digital packs from mooandpuppy on Etsy and had them printed on cardstock at my local Office Max.
As for finishing off the frame and display, I bought a sheet of bead board from Lowes and had them cut it for me in the store to my desired dimensions, and then bought 2 strips of prefinished baseboard trim, that I took over to my parents and had my dad miter cut into a frame. A little Elmers wood glue worked perfectly to affix the letters to the board, as well as to attach the outer frame. I did use a few clamps when attaching the frame portion to make sure it really stuck together.
Again, I am so so incredibly pleased with how this turned out. It is very large, measuring about 3 1/2" feet x 3 1/2" feet when all was said and done, but I'm ok with that as its sort of the piece de resistance of the nursery, centered over the dresser/changing table.
There's a whole smorgasbord of DIY happening in this little area of the nursery...who am I kidding, there's a whole lot of DIY throughout the entire nursery! But for this little portion, I did make a cover for the changing pad, one of Noodlehead's divider baskets and a fun little hombre paint chip elephant display.
I couldn't find a changing pad cover that I really loved in grey and yellow, so I decided to make one myself. This was incredibly easy, only requiring me to buy a yard of Minky and elastic, and using a half yard cut of Riley Blake yellow chevrons I had on hand. Within an hour I had finished the cover and am pleased with the finished product. I followed this tutorial, and the Minky was much easier to work with than I had originally envisioned! I actually grabbed another yard of Minky in yellow and paired it with a grey accent cotton piece to have as a backup.
I also decided I needed a divider basket to have diapers and changing essentials within arms reach, and of course it had to be cute :-) Enter Noodhead's divided basket pattern. Best $6.50 I have ever spent. This basket came together quickly and easily in about 2 1/2 hours one evening, and easily half of that time was spent cutting out pattern pieces. I see a few more of these baskets in my future, as baby can never have to many cute baskets to hold all of her cute things.
I am digging this nursery so so much, and am glad we went with a more neutral color palate with bits of pink here and there. Lord knows this child has enough pink clothing to stock a boutique, so I figured we could do pink-lite in the nursery. I'll be back with a few more projects, and hopefully a full nursery reveal soon!