Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Farmers...Daughter?

I kid, I kid.  Although one of the blocks this week is named just that, Farmers Daughter.  This week is actually both this week and lasts weeks Farmers Wife blocks combined, and include a few highs, and a few lows.

Farmers Wife # 31 Evening Star
Block #31 Evening Star

This is one of my favorites so far.  I picked up some of this adorable Riley Blake tree print on my last trip to my favorite LQS, and thought this block would be perfect for a little fussy cutting action.  I added some Oh My! by Sanae for Moda and this green canvas print.

Farmers Wife # 34 Farmers Daughter 2
Block #32 Farmers Daughter

Hmmm, no matter how I look at this I most certainly don't see any resemblance to a farmer, or his daughter, but regardless I like it anyways.  I used some of this pretty Kaffe Fasset print and paired it with some pink and orange I had lying around in my stash. 

Farmers Wife # 33 Farmers Puzzle
Block #33 Farmers Puzzle

I am really digging this block, but I beg you, please, pretty please don't look too closely at those ragged edges.  I'm not exactly sure what went on here, everything was piecing together nicely, until I pieced in those longer strips, and it just wasnt matching up for some reason.  I fudged it a bit, and figure that there will be enough of these teeny tiny blocks, no one will notice my Farmers Puzzle that has the triangle points slightly chopped off.  And if they do, I don't really care :-)

Farmers Wife # 32 Flock
Block #34 Flock

This block is just eh to me.  Don't love it, don't hate it.  I've come to the conclusion that its all about fabric choices with these blocks.  I love each of these fabrics, but together? Not so much.  The green is a Sandi Henderson print and the grey is Sunkissed by Sweetwater for Moda. 

Farmers Wife blocks 1-34

These blocks are slowly taking up my entire design wall, and I'm not sure how I'll display them once they grow larger than my wall...perhaps I'll just decorate my sewing room walls with Farmers Wife blocks

8 comments:

  1. Your blocks look so great together! I love the Farmer's Puzzle block!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it! I'm not a fan of that Flock block either - especially when you turn it on point, it just looks kind of wrong! But you're right, it is all about the darned fabrics, and I adore the fabrics you used for your Evening Star block, they so rock together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wife AND the daughter? Oh my! Love these blocks though, and the whole thing looks amazing on your design wall

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my...your wall looks amazing! I guess I'm an odd duck cause I love the Flock block...what about turning it upsidedown there on the wall....I think it would fill that spot better. Of course I know that's not necessarily your finished placement for the blocks but it's just a thought. I love how you used the Sunkissed taking care to follow the lines...this is going to be a treasure when you finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the Farmers Puzzle too, but didn't realize how much until I saw it on the design wall. I didn't notice until then that it's a kind of pinwheel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It certainly is an amazing collection of blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Evening Star and the Farmer's Puzzle, that wall is looking fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say I like the way your block #33 turned out, when I got the book yesterday I looked at this block & the first thing that popped into my head was a swastika. I like yours a lot better!!!

    ReplyDelete