Sunday, September 4, 2011

weekend update

Happy Labor Day weekend!  In between family picnics and get togethers, I've found a little time to squeeze in some sewing.  I've turned my attention to my mini quilt for my partner in the For the Love of Solids Swap.  I've had this chevron pattern in mind for a while now, and had to see it through in fabric, but I'm not sure I'm thrilled.

FTLOS option

What do you think??  It's quite simple and I sort of wish I had made the chevrons a little smaller.  It does go along with my partners mosaic, but I'm just on the fence about it.  I sort of have another idea swimming around in my head, should I just scrap this and start with idea #2?  I think I'm going to go ahead and quilt this and see if my opinion changes, but I'm not overly optimistic.

AB Weekender Bag Supplies

Changing gears here for a moment...what can endless yards of ridiculously stiff interfacing, 5 yards of cording, and yards and yards of home dec weight fabric mean?  Indeed it means I've caught the bug.  Yes, the Weekender Bag bug!  Seeing all these beauties all over blogger land had me thinking I just had to have one of these guys.  We have a vacation coming up in 5 weeks (not that I'm counting or anything) and this may just make an awesome carry on bag.  Now just to wait for the pattern to arrive, and I'll be off, wish me luck!

What have you been up to this holiday weekend??

12 comments:

  1. Love the chevron. I think it turned out great. Also, I love that print you're using for your bag. What is it? That will be perfect. Everyone is putting together weekender bags and it's making me jealous. I think I need one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the chevron....to be honest though...the first thing I thought of when I saw the thumbnail on my dashboard is "Man that would be an awesome bag!":)

    Hmmm....I must read different blogs than you...guess I best go google weekender bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the chevron looks fine, see it through to the end, and you could always make it the back and do something else for the front if it really offends you!

    I'm doing the Amy Butler bags sew along, but that seems to be mainly handbag sized(although the last one's looking prety big). Not sure I could bring myself to tackle the Weekender lol BTW, experience shows she seriously overestimates the yardage, you you could have quite a lot leftover :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the chevron looks great! I think I'd stick with it. And I love the fabrics you chose for your Weekender!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the chevron too. If you quilt it on the opposite diagonal, maybe in a coloured thread, that my make it pop? Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the chevron too. Sometimes the beauty of the solid colors comes from the simplicity.
    What is that amazing bag fabric?
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am terrified of bags that are more complex than like two squares sewn together so I salute you and your Weekender!

    I like the chevrons...

    ReplyDelete
  8. the chevron made me smile. It is very similar to a quilt i had as a child, or maybe it was my sisters. It went with the lime green with daisys wallpaper in our room. I loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The chevron quilt is a very happy design.

    Your choice of fabrics for the bag is lovely! Can't wait to see it made up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your chevron block the way it is. I love your use of color, & proportionally the size of your chevrons seems about perfect to me, because you have struck a great balance of showing off the colors without letting them overpower the effect of the crisp chevron pattern.
    hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's great & would just go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you started on this yet? I finally finished mine, and still haven't taken it anywhere. I think we'll eventually become friends...

    ReplyDelete