Saturday, November 24, 2012

ABC DaisyChain Sampler

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving, we certainly did!  Aside from my minor freakout at 2 pm, when I checked the turkey and it was finished cooking...3 hours early!  There may or may not have been tears.  Luckily the hubs and my mother in law saved the day, and by some miracle, the turkey was still quite juicy and not dried out at all.  I cannot for the life of me figure out what I did wrong, 14 pound turkey, cooked at 325, and was done in 2 and a half hours!  I had visions of the scene from National Lampoons Christmas Vacation when they cut open the turkey, but alas, that did not happen.  

DSC_0643

Anyways, on the sewing front, I'm really trying to make a push to finish up as many WIP projects that are hanging out in my sewing room before the end of 2012, for a clean slate in 2013.  The first finish of this resolution is my DaisyChain ABC Sampler from Posie Rosy Little Things.  Its certainly been a long time coming, as I started it in October of 2011, 13 months ago!

DSC_0647

Instead of the crewel wool that is recommended, I used DMC embroidery floss, as it was more readily available at the time, and as I had never really done any sort of embroidery before, I wasn't sure if it was even something I'd like.  I'm super pleased with how this turned out, however if I were to do it again, I'd definitely use the crewel wool, or possibly 3 strands of embroidery floss, as the two strands were a little flimsy and thin, and not quite as "fluffy" as the crewel yarn looks.

DSC_0646  

I love that this sampler uses so many different embroidery stitches.  The pattern does include a guide for each stitch which is helpful, but I also found YouTube to be great, as you could see the stitches in action.

DSC_0645

I don't think I could possibly pick a favorite letter, the Q is absolutely adorable with all those lazy daisies, and I love all the letters that are done with satin stitch, while I find it to be such a huge time suck (or I'm just no good at it) the finished product is totally worth it.

DSC_0648

I'm hoping to stick with this burst of finish-it-up-ness, and tackle the stack of quilt tops that need backs, blocks that need made into quilt tops, and then baste my little heart out.  I've been taking advantage of all the great online fabric sales, and picking up yardage at great prices!  Stay tuned for (hopefully) more finishes to come!

DSC_0649





18 comments:

  1. I love that sampler, and yours is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your sampler, very neat indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this sampler! I think the two strands, from here anyway, look delicate and suit the style of the design! Good luck on the rest of your list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sampler.
    Enjoy the rush of finishing projects - love the craziness, and love the results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is beautiful,I usually use 2 strand for embroidery and cross stitch, I think anyore might make it look too bulky. Congrats on finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love it, you've done a great job. I've been wanting make this, but can't afford the pattern! :l I love the floss usage, you chose well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I loooove it Jess! Off to find the pattern - thanks for the inspiration :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this pattern too...its on my "to do" list...along with about a hundred other things!!! Yours looks wonderful. I think the two strands look great in your picture. Way to go on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty. Our turkey was done 2 hours early. I decided to start check the temp with my digital probe thermometer at 4pm and it was done! I just kept it under a foil tent and it was still warm and juicy at 6. Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a pretty sampler - it looks so lovely in the frame!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all the different stitches and colors. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so pretty, Jessica! I've been wanting to try this sampler, too. Glad your turkey didn't explode!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely love your sampler. Have you thought about a bigger frame?

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's just beautiful! And I love how you framed it!
    I have been working on this sampler, too -- for over a year! -- and just finished mine yesterday.
    Now I have to figure out how to frame it. It feels SO GREAT to have it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a pretty sampler, Jessica! You did a very nice job. I am happy that embroidery is back in style as it's something I learned to do as a pre-teen. I also like your idea of finishing UFOs for a 2013 clean slate. I'm looking at a half dozen almost-finished projects and would love to get them wrapped up. Thanks for the suggestion and motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's one of the cutest samplers I've seen in a while -- beautiful, Jess! I've had a few of those turkey moments myself. Thank God for family members who rescue us!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pretty and delicate looking! I'm clearing off one over a year old WIP which I've decided to give my parents for Christmas, but I'm actually looking forward to January to be able to work on a bunch of things that have been queued up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I’m here to testify about the great work Dr Aba did for me. I have been suffering from (HERPES) disease for the past 5 years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came across a testimony of one lady on the internet testifying about a Man called Dr Aba on how he cured her from Herpes Simplex Virus. And she also gave the email address of this man and advised anybody to contact him for help for any kind of sickness that he would be of help, so I emailed him telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! Well i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as Dr Aba assured me that i will be cured,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advice is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can contact Dr Aba via email dr.abaherbalhome@gmail.com You can also call or whatsApp his telephone number on +2348107155060. Thanks once again Dr Aba.

    ReplyDelete