Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sis Boom Jamie Dress


I decided to take a leap into unknown sewing territory for me and attempt to make something wearable.  I jumped in on the Sis Boom Jamie dress sew along over at sewsweetness, hosted by Sara.  I cannot believe I am sharing these pictures with you, as I tend to hate pictures of myself, but its proof that I actually have sewn something that I would wear in public!!


I cannot sing enough praises of this pattern, as being a complete newbie to sewing clothing, the instructions were so precise and most every step in the pattern is accompanied by a picture showing what it should look like.  I started working on this Thursday evening, thinking I would *just* cut out the pattern pieces with the intent of getting sewing this weekend, but within 4 hours, I had a compete dress, minus the straps and the hem!  I got back to work this afternoon and within an hour or two had a complete finished dress.  


I think the only two things I would do differently next time would be: 1. To not add the extra width in the bust.  I erred on the side of caution and added the extra material, but in the end I think it would have been fine without. 2.  To continue the waistband around to the back of the dress as well. 


I am really really happy with how this turned out, and I see more versions of this Jamie dress in my future.   Check out all the fabulous finishes over in the flickr pool, there have been some very cool variations, like this tunic length version by Kim.  I can totally see myself rockin' this tunic version with some capris over the summer.

If you're interested, here is a link to the pattern on etsy.  I can't say I'll be going into business as a seamstress anytime soon, but putting this dress together has significantly lessened my fear of sewing clothing, so thank you Sara for broadening my sewing horizons!!

I will be linking this post to Canoe Ridge Creations Sew Modern Monday!  Thanks Megan for hosting!!

{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations



10 comments:

  1. It looks great! congrats Jessica! You did a fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!!! It's BEEEE-OOO-TIFUL! I love it...that is very pretty fabric, what is it? It looks so great on you, yay to you!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful job!
    I made the dress, too - my first time sewing clothing, too!
    I would agree that it was a fun and easy project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica, that turned out really nice. The green fabric looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great on you!! Nice choice on the print and color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great dress! I agree with everyone else, it looks fabulous on you! I could definitely use some new dresses for the summer, I'll be checking this one out for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fantastic! I really, really like the fabric you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This dress fits you absolutely beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you + this dress + the fabric = fabulous!! So fun and summery, too! GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete