Friday, May 13, 2011

Bloggers Quilt Festival

Amy's Creative Side


As soon as I realized it was Bloggers Quilt Festival, I knew immediately which quilt I would enter.  Bare with me here, because I just finished and posted about it last week, but I've decided to enter my Scrappy Rainbow quilt, as I think its my favorite quilt I've made to date.

scrappy rainbow quilt

This quilt started really with no direction, aside from using up fabric from my scrap bins.  This was the very first "blue blob" of fabric snippits that evolved into the finished product.


I really had fun piecing the centers of these blocks together randomly and just seeing where things went.  While this didn't make quite as large of a dent in my overflowing baskets of scraps as I'd have liked, I just love picking out all the different fabrics in each block and remembering where I'd used them initially.


I think the repetitive white borders and second color borders help to ground the random center blocks, I'm not an overly huge fan of true "improvisational" piecing, so I think this is a nice balance of order and randomness.  


This fun happy rainbow quilt is one of those quilts that I don't think I could part with if I tried, and is now nestled in its new home on our couch, just waiting to be snuggled.  

Be sure to pop over to the Bloggers Quilt Festival hosted by Amy's Creative Side to check out all the beautiful quilt entries!




35 comments:

  1. Nice choice! I love this quilt! And you're right, the orderliness of the white borders is the perfect way to set off the random scrappiness of the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quilt so much, the white definitely makes it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its not often I find a scrap quilt to be striking. You should be really proud, its awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely the right choice :) I love this quilt, love the rainbow effect, love the somewhat random piecing, and I definitely love the white borders. Fantastic quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choice! This quilt is so bright and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this quilt Jess! :) Great choice for Bloggers' Festival!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your quilt when you first posted it, & I love it today! SOO nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous quilt! The colors are bright and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choice - I love this quilt as you know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't want to sound like a broken record but I love this quilt. I'm a big fan of freeform piecing and I love how it is freeform and yet controlled. Great use of color.
    Come see my entries #211 repro cheddar orange stars and 215, antique 1850 applique flower garden

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! So colourful. It may be scrappy but it's controlled as well. Thank you so much for inspiring this novice - one day I may have enough scraps to do something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great use of scraps! I love the mix of order and improvisation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So Beautiful! I love rainbows and I like what you did in the first border of each block with that little extra piece put in, very striking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is beautiful, congratulations:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilt is so pretty. I looked, but didn't even have enough stash to do justice to this quilt. You did it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the fresh bold colors, such a happy quilt! Beautiful, congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pardon me for say this to the easily offended, but holy buckets!!! This is flippin' freakin' gorgeous! Love your quilt!! I may have found my favorite!! You've done a marvelous job :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful quilt. Fantastic colors, fabrics and pattern. Do like the white sashing too. Thanks forcsharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is really really lovely, a great way to use your scraps. I love rainbow colours and the white really sets them off

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm still loving this quilt the second time around!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this quilt...now where are my scraps?! The white inner border is a great idea and I love the little touch of dark/light in the outer squares - inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful scrapbuster quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now that's what I'm talking about. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a lovely quilt - so bright and vibrant. The idea of using all scraps is very appealing. I am inspired to get to work!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice job! I've had something like this on my list for a while. I love scrap quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's a beauty! Love all those bright colors

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just have to ask, can you just send this my way? ;)

    It's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I do love this quilt so much. It's gorgeous and a great way to use your scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jessica I love this quilt! Bold, modern, and fun! I really like how you added a bit of light/dark on the sashing around the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this Jessica! I'm working on a scrap quilt right now but yours is getting my wheels turning even more. Thank you for sharing this!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like how you added a contrast color in the border around the colorful blocks. It adds a lot of interest. Its a very beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this quilt that show up at the festival

    ReplyDelete