Sunday, May 8, 2011

pillow makeover

The pillows in my living room have been in need of a makeover for some time now, and the task just keeps slipping to the bottom of the to do list.  After finishing up the rainbow scrappy quilt this week, I thought this would be just the little project I've been looking for.


After seeing these awesome argyle pillows from Kati and Becky I just knew I had to make one.  I started by giving Becky's tutorial on Friday night, and I don't know if I was having a stupid moment, but for some reason it was just not working for me.  Everything was just peachy until I went to sew in the skinny diagonal lines.  After ripping the same seam out multiple times and still it not being right when attaching the diagonal strips, and then wanting to rip out my hair in frustration, I abandoned Becky's tutorial and left things for the night with the idea I'd start fresh in the morning.  

I re-pieced the diamonds using Kati's strip piecing technique which made things go significantly faster.  Also like Kati I used one of my decorative stitches to make the diagonal lines in between the diamonds.  In the end, I'm less than thrilled with it, I think I should have picked a different stitch, but after the trials and tribulations, I like it enough (I'm sure I will end up redoing it eventually, but for now, it will do).


The second pillow cover is made using machine pieced hexagons.  Yes MACHINE pieced!  I had seen this video tutorial on youtube  on how to machine piece hexagons and decided to give it another go  (I had actually tried this method once before with much less than stellar results).  Apparently my sewing skills have much improved since then, because using this method was a breeze this time and I am very happy with the result.  I used the largest hexagon template on my Accuquilt GO! and pieced together a 15 inch square to form the pillow front.  This pillow more than makes up for my mediocre feelings on the end result of my argyle pillow.


Here they are so happy together nestled on our love seat.  There will be a part two to this post, as I have two more forms that I'd like to make covers for, stay tuned!

I will be linking up to sew modern monday over at Canoe Ridge Creations, stop over and see whats new!

{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations

12 comments:

  1. I think they both look awesome! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love how both of these turned out. I love your fabrics. I have been seriously thinking about doing a quilt with machine pieced hexagons. This makes me want to try it out. They look so nice together. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of these pillows! I'm sorry to hear you struggled with my tutorial. I had a hard time explaining what I was doing. And really - I would sew on those seams if I make another one. Your hexagon pillow is fantastic, I"m totally bookmarking that link!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the hexie pillow! Great job Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. they look great together....and I like the diagonal lines.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great! Beautiful colours too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these, Jess!! They're so cheerful looking :) And I am definitely going to check out that You Tube link :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so great! I would never have thought to make a pieced together pillow cover. I linked to your pillows in my pillow makeover post at Nest Candy. Thanks for the great idea!

    http://www.nestcandy.com/2012/04/diy-pillow-makeovers.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this fantastic blog. You’ve come to the right place to buy Diagonal Stripes Square Pillow. This pillow is perfect for adding a little something extra to any space. It is made with soft, cruelty-free faux suede that makes your comfort guilt-free. For more info, visit our website.

    Buy Lion Crest Shower Curtain

    ReplyDelete