Tuesday, May 31, 2011

WIP Wednesday {6.1.2011}

Wednesday already?  This week WIP Wednesday is over at Elizabeth's, how fun is that??  Be sure to stop over and check out what's going on this week!

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

Completed Projects

Baby Sewing


This past Saturday I attended a baby shower and wanted to put together a fun gift for mom and baby.  I made three of these bibs using this tutorial from sewshesews.  I also put together this fun diaper wreath with all sorts of baby extras, like pacifiers, onesies, and of course little cute toys and soft stuffed animals.

Bee Stuff


Today I sent out what seemed like nine hundred manilla envelopes filled with what else, but fabric!  June is my month to be the "queen bee" in both the Sew Fun bee and the Solids Bee, while this will be awesome when the completed blocks start rolling in later this month, it was slightly headache inducing cutting and packing up 22 different zip lock baggies of fabric!  Needless to say, I'm glad to have this crossed off the to do list.  I also finished up May's bee blocks that also went out in the mail today.  It really does feel so good to get these smaller projects done so I can turn my focus to this...

In Progress

Double Wedding Ring Quilt


Slow and steady wins the race.  That is my motto with this quilt.  I actually had a quick fleeting thought as I finished putting together the first row of "What about a double wedding ring table runner??"  Haha.  No no, I kid, I kid, but seriously, this is by far the most difficult quilt I've tackled yet.  I will say, it is so motivating to start seeing how this is going to come together as I add each block to my design wall. 


These are the next 8 arcs to be attached to the "melons" as the directions call them...and the resulting fabric scraps.  The pattern I am using for this quilt has you paper piece each arc, which does result in quite a lot of fabric scrap, however using this method guarantees that your seams are 100% accurate when piecing all the arcs, which I think is a huge help for me at least.

For anyone who has done a quilt like this, any tips for attaching the rows to each other??  The directions I have aren't overly detailed, which has been ok to this point, but I'm anticipating a possible struggle at that step.  I'm thinking I'll pin each arc, and almost sew each arc separately, instead of the entire row at one time?  Hmmm...I suppose I still have time to figure that part out... 

Quilt tops awaiting quilting

Central Park Baby Quilt
Postage Stamp Quilt

This Weeks Stats

New Projects: 0
Completed Projects: 3
Ongoing Projects: 5

May Bee Blocks
Postage Stamp Quilt
Central Park Baby Quilt
Double Wedding Ring Quilt
Apron Project (cousin's bridal shower)

10 zip pouches (cousin's bridal shower)
Kitchen themed gift basket (cousin's bridal shower)...oh the joys of being a bridesmaid! :-)
June Block Prep
Baby Sewing

22 comments:

  1. Oh my, sew much to do, sew little time! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving seeing the progress on that DWR every week, I really am! It's almost like I'm doing it... except I'm not doing any of the work and I won't be touching any of the quilty goodness in the end, lol. It just is exciting to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your projects have made me especially happy this week. LOVE the DWR but I don't have any advice; I've never made one. Well, not yet anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love those bibs and your quilts are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 4 and a quarter double wedding rings is pretty impressive! I think it's looking amazing so far. You sure have been busy :) Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow - love that double wedding rings! And I love those bibs, they are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The double wedding rings is sooooo beautiful!
    I have no advice, I have only dreamed of making this type of quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Especially love your double wedding ring! Very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your baby bibs, they are so cute, and the diaper wreath is amazing! what a lucky friend who gets this!

    The double wedding ring quilt is beautiful, and so much work! I could never make a quilt like this. It will be a real heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your double wedding ring is looking awesome! What an undertaking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the bibs, didn't know today's mothers even used them. I know none of my nieces did, or the gals at work, or any of my neighbors. I don't understand why, they sure protect the clothes and keep you from having to change them constantly. Then again, today's moms are so much in the throw away society, not sure they see any reason to protect and reuse what they have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bibs are darling and the wedding ring quilt is awesome. I saw that paper piece pattern at my LQS, the owner did one for her daughter's wedding gift. I love it. I know about the bee packages, I did one last year and didn't have good luck with getting things back. Your spiderweb is great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your choice of colors in your wedding ring quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness! Your wedding ring quilt is looking sooo good! And way too complicated for someone of my level, I can't even imagine tackling that!
    I love your pretty little scraps too... I use them with my daycare kiddos, we glue them & they make their own little 'quilts'. I don't have any Aviary 2 to give them yet though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just did the spider web block for one of my bees last night. It was actually a lot of fun. Your projects are looking well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your double wedding ring looks fantastic. One of these days I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. No advice, but everything looks beautiful! Can I ask you a question. I'm doing a spider web for my month in one of my bees also. How did you cut the fabric for everyone? Did you cut thin strips for everyone, or just bigger chunks that they have to cut down and did you cut out the template white centers for them? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i am so so impressed with your double wedding ring quilt! fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. those bibs are extra super adorable. my guy turns two this week and the big boy ones i made him are starting to look too small :(

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the sewing you did for the baby shower! Especially the diaper wreath! How clever!

    I can't get over your DWR quilt! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jessica - excellent blog - and very, very nice DWR - I am just in the process of hand quilting mine, having joined the rows last week. I found the easiest way was to first pin each arc facing away from me (so your funny shaped centre bit faces you, with the dots uppermost to indicate where the seams meet), all the way down to the end of the row, then turn the whole thing over and pin the remaining, alternating arcs. Then sew from one end of the row to the next, turning the quilt around as you finish each arc. Hope this makes sense!! You can see a photo of mine on my blog shockinghocking.blogspot.com. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your double wedding ring is looking beautiful. I'm sure slow & steady is definitely the way to go on it. Unfortunately I don't have any good advice for joining the rows since I've never made one.

    ReplyDelete