Thursday, May 5, 2011

Scrappy Rainbow Quilt: Finished


Please excuse the excessive amount of pictures in this post!  I started snapping, and just couldn't stop...and then couldn't decide which I liked best, so I included most of them all!  




I am so incredibly happy with how this quilt turned out, I just love the controlled scrappy-ness (yes, I think that will be my made up term for describing this quilt).  This was really my first attempt at any sort of improvisational piecing, by just sewing random fabric scraps together and cutting them into squares.  I love the randomness of the centers of each block, but the borders that are consistent throughout the quilt give it some order as well.




The finished quilt measures approximately 60 inches x 76 inches, the perfect cuddle on the couch quilt.  This quilt is definitely a keeper, I don't think I could give it away if I tried.


When I put the quilt back together I was really unsure of it...it just seemed a little bit...much.  I am affectionately referring to this as my Rainbow Brite quilt back (doesn't it remind you of one of those Rainbow Brite dolls from the 80s??)  But I love it.  I used most of the solid colors from the front in varying widths to make up the back.  



As for the quilting I stepped outside of my typical free motion designs (stippling, and newly found loops) and did kind of a boxy maze type of quilting.  I didn't intend on it being so heavily quilted, but thats how it turned out.  I used a record 10 bobbins and almost a whole huge economy spool of Gutterman white thread to quilt this!  Needless to say my shoulders were a little sore from quilt wrangling this on my machine.



I just love how the solids on the back make the quilting so visible.  I took everyone's basting advice and was super picky, bordering on neurotic about getting my quilt back taped down to the floor near perfectly.  I used basting spray in between each layer and used pins on the corners of each block to keep everything in place when wrestling with the quilt while quilting.  It worked!  Thanks everyone for  sharing your tips and tricks!  I had one minor pucker on the back, which if you look close enough on the above picture you can see in the middle of the green, but I figure after a trip through the washer and dryer and crinkling up, it won't even be noticeable.  


A few parting shots and a good shot of the binding.  I really struggled picking a binding, I knew I wanted a print with black, as the quilt itself was so colorful.  I had a black and white pin dot picked out, but I found this black with skinny stripes in pinks, oranges and whites at Joann's, and decided this was it. 


As the weather is finally turning warmer in these parts, I may have to turn the AC down so I can snuggle with this quilt on the couch!




33 comments:

  1. It turned out great. Love how you did the quilting and the back is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, the back is great, and well, the front - totally fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous! Congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazingly beautiful and I love the binding you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how this turned out!! Especially the quilting, it looks amazing, wow. And oh yes, I sure do remember Rainbow Brite - haven't thought about her in years, wow, what a trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful quilt! (i've been a lurker for awhile ... but i just had to comment on this one!) i LOVE "controlled scrappiness"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT quilt! Love the controlled scrappiness! hahaha I think that is me too. And the quilting is wonderful. Really great, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Controlled scrappiness works, that's for sure. This is one awesome quilt! I have officially added it to my list of WIMMs(Works in my Mind).

    I love the quilting, too - I must practice that mazey-meander and use it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. The back is beautiful as well. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the quilt! I love the binding, and of course I love the back! Wonderful job! Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Probably one of my favourite quilts of yours so far - really, really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, it turned out beautifully!! Seriously love this one, the quilting and binding just make it :-) happy snuggling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, I LOVE this one Jess. There is no way I would part with this quilt either.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'ts getting cold here in Australia, send it over I will give it a good home..hehe!
    Looks Fantastic, I wouldn't part with it either!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another lurker who just HAD to comment. I think this is one of my most favourite quilts EVER!!! I love all the colours and the randomness in the squares and and and ... everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is so, so pretty and fabulous. The colour is gorgeous. You did an awesome job all round!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooooh, it turned out so wonderful! The quilting is awesome and sets it all off perfectly. Winner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. As has been said many times already... That is simply beautiful Jessica! WOW, it looks great!

    I love the quilting and the binding they really brought this all together.

    Awesome, simply Awesome!

    Paul
    www.OutnumberedQuilter.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing, amazing quilt. I just love the bright colors, white sashing, scrapy centers. And then the quilting - wow! It's just perfect! And so interesting and fun at the same time! This is the most awesome quilt I've seen in months!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is just wonderful. I love everything about it! The colors, the design, the back, the quilting. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't think there can be such a thing as too many pictures of such a happy quilt! It turned out fantastic, and I absolutely love the way you did the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That turned out beautifully! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That quilting is INCREDIBLE! I just tried stippling for the first time a few nights okay, so I am even MORE impressed by this than I would have been a few days ago! The entire quilt is gorgeous. Great job! : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so pretty! I'm a sucker for rainbow quilts, and this one is one of the best ones I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This turned out great! I love it. It's such a happy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is fantastic! I really love the little contrasting bits In the border of each block. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this! Great colors and design.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  28. It is a beauty! I like that it's scrappy but orderly. And the vivid colors! It's a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's a really pretty, colorful quilt, Jess. My favorite binding choice is nearly always a stripe, but I like to cut it on the bias so the stripes make a sort of candy cane effect.

    I've never quilted with Gutterman. I've always shied away from it, in fact, as Mako Aurifil is my favorite for piecing and quilting. I may give Gutterman a try.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, what an awesome quilt for me to come back to find !

    You are getting better and better !
    I could have squealed when I got to the photo of the back. It is just THE TOPS , in my humble opinion........couldn't have finished better. And that new quilting design is just wonderful. Congrats on a beautiful job, Jess !

    ReplyDelete
  31. The squiggle-square quilting is fabulous! Such a great inspiration quilt for the rainbw swap!

    ReplyDelete