Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Bertha's first project



Whew!  I'm starting to settle back into the normalcies of life after the whirlwind of this past holiday weekend.  Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday, and enjoyed  time spent with family and friends, I know we sure did. 

Santa was overly generous this year, and left a new sewing machine under the tree, which I was ecstatic about.  I just love my new machine, which I've affectionately named Bertha, as in Big Bertha, as she towers over my old machine and makes it look like a toy.  


We've been spending some time getting to know one another, and just last night she completed her first project.  I have been eyeing this iPad case tutorial from Faith of Fresh Lemons for some time now, and had every intention of making one for the hubby's iPad for Christmas, however I just ran out of time.  My soon to be sister in law just received a Nook for Christmas and asked if I'd make her a case, and I immediately thought of Faith's tutorial and of doctoring it up to fit a Nook.  


I altered my dimensions to make it Nook sized, and decided that I wanted a top zipper closure instead of a flap velcro closure.  Because I used the zipper tabs on the top zipper, the case is quite roomy on the inside, but I think it works.  


I just love the front zipper pocket idea, this was genius Faith!  It will be perfect for storing head phones, charging cables or miscellaneous items that are always getting misplaced.  After seeing how well this turned out, I'm thinking my Nook needs a new home too.


Amanda loved the quilt that I made her for Christmas this year, so I used some more Terrain to make her Nook case, I'll be giving this to her this weekend, hopefully she likes it!



13 comments:

  1. Ooooh, yay, welcome to the Sapphire club!!! You've got the same machine I've got, you're going to love it!!! Your first project looks fabulous, I'm about to make a case like this myself for my husband's new iPad, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on Big Bertha! What a fab present! : ) Glad you had a good Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun with your new machine!! That is so fun. Love your Terrain projects. I never bought any of that fabric, but it's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool to have a new machine - enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your new machine!

    Your Nook case looks darling in Terrain fabric.

    That zipper looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yay! New sewing machine!?! That's awesome. Fantastic! Love your nook case too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love that colour combo, and the case turned out fab! I have a Kindle cover to make for my dad to go with the Kindle I'm buying him for his birthday in 3 weeks time, best get cracking on it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty pouch! And look at all that quilting space... Bertha is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So who was spoilt with a new machine? Looks fab!
    Cheers,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will LOVE Bertha! I have the same machine and it is absolutely wonderful! I however do not have the table attachment...ahem....hubby will be notified of this immediately! ;) Love your first sewing project on it too! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your new sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Jess,thats some machine.I hope you have loads of fun together. I am treating my Bernina and Pfaff to a service this week. Both long overdue and deserved!. happy new year xxx

    ReplyDelete