Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Last minute gift ideas: Jane Market Tote


I had been eyeing the Jane Market Tote pattern from sometime now, and after seeing Kati's bag posts (here, here, here and here) last week (yes, she has been a bag making machine!), I knew now was the time to get creating.  I finally purchased the pattern for these bags (it's in PDF form, so instant shopping gratification) and thought these would be the perfect Christmas gift for a few coworkers.  


The most fun part, or course, was picking out all the fabrics.  Thanks to Kati, she shared with me her secret for making these bags fat quarter friendly, and my available fabric choices increased exponentially.  It really felt nice to use up a good bit of my fabric stash, using fabrics that I've had laying around for quite some time now.    


In using Kati's suggested alterations, these bags are just a pinch smaller than the resulting pattern size, but I still think they make a great on-the-go tote size.  I also added interfacing to everything but the pockets and lining for a little added stability, and it really makes a world of difference.  I also lined my pockets and folded the pockets so that a pinch of lining showed through. 







Hope my coworkers dig these as much as I do, Happy Holidays!



13 comments:

  1. Gee, I wish I was one of your co-workers. They look great. I'm sure they will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lvoe how every bag looks completely different because of the different fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how they all turned out. Such great fabrics. It really makes me want to sit down and make some more. Your pocket idea is perfect. I'm doing that from now on. It's funny how little details like that make all the difference. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have outdone yourself this year - one problem...... will they be expecting another one next year ; )

    Merry Christmas Jess!
    ~Jes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are all gorgeous! I know if I were one of your coworkers I would be so happy to get one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these!
    Making one of these was part of my plan today, so I smiled when I saw this post! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Great fabric choices too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessica these are gorgeous! You're a bag making machine!! I'm sure they'll be much loved :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at you go! These turned out fab, Jess--and a stash buster. :) Guess you'll have to go shopping for more fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute totes! I love the fabric combos you used.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous colourful bags. Hope you didn't set yourself a future standard for giving fabulous gifts!
    Cheers,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete