Saturday, December 3, 2011

Terrain Tangled Windows: Complete

Tangled Windows Quilt

Yay!  I'm so happy to not only have this quilt finished, but also that I had a perfectly sunny day today to actually snap some pictures of it.  It was slightly depressing as I finished this quilt up last Sunday night, and realized that literally the next period of daylight I would have to take some pictures would be almost an entire week away.  Yes I know every day I come home from work its basically dark outside, but this really hit the point home.  

Tangled Windows Quilt

As I posted before about this quilt top, I kindly think that if this quilt and this quilt got together and had a baby, it would look like my Tangled Windows quilt.  When I was doodling out the design of this quilt on my graph paper, I had in mind the geometric design and mild askew-ness of both Hyacinth quilt designs quilts, and this quilt came to life.  

Tangled Windows Quilt

I am super super happy with how this quilt came together, and after the holiday craziness settles down perhaps I'll throw together a tutorial for the blocks in this quilt.  

Tangled Windows Quilt

I had in mind from the get go that I really wanted to put together some sort of design idea for the quilt back using left over scraps from the quilt front, as opposed to my more standard fairly simple quilt backs of the past.  I decided on some of these randomly sort of slice and dice blocks (basically just sewing scraps together, cutting them, and resewing them until I liked what I saw).  I then pieced them into some Kona Coal, and could not be more pleased with it. 


Tangled Windows Quilt

I also did something else new to me with this quilt, and did a scrappy binding using about 6 or 7 of my remaining Terrain fat eighths and randomly pieced them together, and just love the look, especially against the quilt back.

Tangled Windows Quilt

As for the quilting, I stuck with what  I am 1000% comfortable with and did a meandering stipple all over the quilt.  I really love how the solid portions on the  back show off the quilting nicely. 

Tangled Windows Quilt

It almost pains me to part with this quilt, but I have decided to give this quilt to my brothers girlfriend for Christmas.  I was so so tempted to keep this for myself, but every time Amanda comes to my house, she just fawns over my pillows that Anne made me and raves about how much she loves the fabrics in them, which are also Terrain.  It will be the absolute perfect gift for her, and I know that she will love it to pieces, so that makes me feel better about it.  If I have time, I still have a few Terrain fat eighths left over, and would love to make some matching pillow covers for her.  

It feels so nice to have one Christmas project checked of the list...one down, about a zillion to go!

Tangled Windows Quilt

Quilt Stats:
Name:  Terrain Tangled Windows
Size:  79"x 54"  
Fabrics:  Kate Spain Terrain, Kona Coal, Kona White
Binding:  Scrappy Kate Spain Terrain, 100% machine attached 
Quilting:  All over meandering stipple, white Gutterman thread done by me

29 comments:

  1. it's beautiful! what a happy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! that is a gorgeous quilt! I would have a hard time parting with this too. At least it's staying in the family, so you can go pet it once in a while, hehe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, so pretty! I like the back just as much as the front! I hear you on early sunsets. I've resorted to snapping pictures of stuff when I take the dog out in the morning before I leave for work. I know my days are numbered for that, though. Soon it will be too dark in the morning, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful! What a generous gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is GORGEOUS! I love that she will love it as much as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica, it turned out so beautiful. Great photos too! I just love Terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! The white on gray is very striking, and your brother's girlfriend is going to love it! Does she read your blog? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great quilt & what an amazing gift!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's absolutely gorgeous! I wouldn't say "no thanks" if you gave it to me!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's absolutely gorgeous Jess! Your quilting looks beautiful too. While it will be hard to part with, there's nothing better than gifting to someone who loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That quilt is gorgeous, I can see how it would be hard to part with, but it looks like it will be appreciated where it's going, which is always a good feeling :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This turned out great, I love the design!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is absolutely beautiful, Jessica! I love everything about it!
    You must be so happy with it. What an amazing Christmas gift this will be!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful, Jessica! And how generous of you to give it away? But it sounds like she will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So gorgeous, Jessica, it turned out fantastic!! And how sweet of you to give it as a holiday present, wow :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jessica, it's so wonderful. I may have to make this one myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful quilt! I will be waiting hopefully for your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  18. No words can really do this justice, you have created a most stunning quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You know I love this quilt. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks fantastic. I love the gray with the white "lines" in between the blocks. It really pops and makes the design work so well! You did a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's a beauty! I love both sides equally - 2 gorgeous quilts for the price of 1!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely gorgeous. And your piecing -wow!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Totally beautiful quilt! I love it and the back is great too :) I agree the stippling looks brilliant on the solid. I would be so grateful if you'd do a tutorial on how you did this quilt - I'd really like to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Don't ya just love terrain??? Great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely and I hope you do a tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete