Monday, December 19, 2011

Last minute gift ideas: Easy Patchwork Placemats

Patchwork and linen placemats

Is anyone else mildly freaking out that Christmas is in a mere 6 days?  I'm actually doing ok.  I think.  Just about everything has been purchased, and all my hand made gifts have been made, but I now have an overflowing closet full of things that need wrapped.  In case you are scrambling for a few last minute hand made gifts, over the next few days I have a couple of quick and easy projects that would make great last minute gifts!

Patchwork and linen placemats

I whipped up these patchwork placemats using up some scraps left over from my recent Christmas tree skirt.  My Accuquilt GO! and 2.5" inch die made quick work of the cutting (however you only need 30 squares per placemat, so rotary cutting would be easy also), and I pieced them into a block of 5 squares x 6 squares.  

Patchwork and linen placemats

I was fresh out of quilters linen, so I actually had this linen I picked up at Joanns a while back that's from the garment sewing section.  I used some very light weight interfacing on the wrong side of the linen to stabilize the fabric, as the linen had a little stretch to it.  

Patchwork and linen placemats

These finished placemats measure 12" x 18".  I skipped messing with binding to save on time, and layered some batting before sewing these wrong sides together and turning right side out.  I edge stitched 1/8" from the edge, and then 1/4" on either side of the linen/patchwork seam.  

Patchwork and linen placemats

Yield: 2 fun and festive (and more importantly quick and easy!) placemats.  

Happy holiday sewing!


7 comments:

  1. I love these, especially with the linen. I found some linen in my stash while cleaning recently and have decided I need to find just the right project for it. Your place mats are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are fun and festive! Good way to use up those scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful idea, Jess!
    I might just have to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mildly freaking? I'm TOTALLY freaking lol I'm finally done work for the year though, so it's full steam ahead now with the rest of 'the list'. Love those placemats, maybe for next year...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these are beautiful! I'm doing this and then using this other idea I found online:
    http://www.givingbetter.org/giving-blog/give-giving-card-holiday-season
    Perfect for anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great, plus they contain elements I love, quick, fast, scraps and no bias ;)

    ReplyDelete