Thursday, December 29, 2011

Deep Deep Sea baby quilt top

Deep Deep Sea baby quilt

I think I have one more baby quilt in me for 2011, so I'm going to do my darnedest to squeeze this one out by Saturday!  This quilt is a commissioned baby quilt that I had all intentions of finishing some time ago, and hustle and bustle of the holidays seemed to get in my way of seeing it through.  Luckily there was no rush on the baby quilt, so I was able to put it off until now.

Deep Deep Sea baby quilt

This quilt started when a friend sent me this picture of the baby to be's nursery, and asked if I could make a quilt that would go along with the nursery theme.

I immediately started looking around my usual online fabric haunts, and came across this perfect fabric bundle on etsy from Tomodachikitty.  The underwater theme fits perfectly, its like these fabrics were made to belong in this nursery!


And from here a baby quilt was born.  I paired these adorable Deep Deep Sea fabrics from Studio E with coordinating blue and green prints from my stash, and added some Deep Blue Kona and Kona White for the sashing.

Deep Deep Sea baby quilt

I am happy with this quilt so far, I just love how crisp and clean the blocks on point look with the sashing.  I must admit, there are a few quilty boo boos in this quilt top, I think in my quest to "simplify" piecing this top together, I actually made it much more difficult.  I figured out what I was doing wrong about half way through, and from there it was smooth sailing.  But alas, I see the error of my ways glaring me in the face.  I'm counting on those slightly misaligned blue seams to blend in when all is quilted and washed.  

Deep Deep Sea baby quilt

I'm super excited to give Bertha a chance to show off her quilting skills, I'm almost giddy at all the throat space she has which should make quilting a baby quilt of this size a breeze!






11 comments:

  1. As John Travolta said in Saturday Night Fever, "Can you dig it? I knew that you could!" I am totally diggin' this Jessica.

    @pril
    KoolBeenz-blog.blogspot.com
    For-the-Love-of-Pie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This quilt just took my breath away! I mean it. Clean, simple, classy, and down right gorgeous. What a lucky little guy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I just picked up some of these fabrics about a month ago. I like what you did with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect fabrics for that nursery! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how cool, love the nursery themes and the fabrics you chose to go with it

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one quilt that needs to be "sea"n. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love this! the simplicity of it is my favorite part. Those fabrics are totally adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those blues and greens together - that's going to fit in the nursery just perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty Jess, I really love the dark blue in the sashing, it sets off the fabrics so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a beautiful quilt! You can get it done!!

    ReplyDelete